Dr. Patel's latest article on the Gut-Skin connection in the Aesthetic Guide Magazine explains that " Gut health influences immunity, hormones, and helps regulate inflammation. Your gut health can reveal itself on your skin. An overgrowth of bad bacteria due to poor diet, stress, medication, or lack of sleep can result in the skin being inflammed."
Dr. Patel highly encourages her patients to eat a whole food diet that keeps blood sugars down and that contains good fats and protein such as omega-3s. Probitics, Prebiotics, and vitamins such as Vitamin D and C are also encouraged to promote a healthy gut microbiome. Foods that are high in sugar, dairy, and gluten can trigger the inflammatory response of our skin, which is why it is important to eat foods that produce good bacteria!
Here are some Skin-Friendly snacks and the benefits they contain!
- Chia Seeds and Flax Seeds- These are packed with antioxidants and omega 3 fatty acids.
- Bananas, Nuts, Whole Grains, and Legumes- High in fiber, are prebiotics and selenium rich foods that decrease the growth of harmful bacteria in the gut.
- Avocados-This fruit is a super food that regulates the release of sugar into the bloodstream and is high in vitamins C and E.
- Nutritional Yeast- High in fiber, vitamin B, Copper, Magnesium, and Folate. This can also be a great cheese substitute!
- Dark Chocolate Covered Almonds- If you have a sweet tooth, these are a great snack! They're packed with antioxidants to boost complexion as well as strengthen hair and nails. This delicious snack is also rich in magnesium which is crucial for our cellular function!
- Green Tea- This tea contains molecules known as polyphenols, which have been proven to reduce inflammation, promote healing, and fight certain types of bacteria.
If you have ANY questions about your skin and if your diet may be affecting you please call us today to schedule an appointment with Dr. Patel!
Dr. Mayha Patel
Dr. Patel diagnoses conditions affecting the hair, skin, and nails, which often have a large impact on your self-image and confidence. Using exams, blood tests, biopsies, and other approaches, Dr. Patel frequently diagnoses eczema, psoriasis, alopecia, acne, and various types of skin cancer creating an individualized treatment plan with each patient’s needs in mind.
In addition, as a board-certified dermatologist Dr. Patel has extensive cosmetic dermatology experience and knowledge in numerous state of the art interventional procedures in cosmetic dermatology such as botox®, fillers, microneedling, kybella, and thread lifts. Dr. Patel also specializes in facial contouring, concierge cosmetics, and laser based procedures.
Dr. Patel frequently uses her dual wavelength laser system for treatment, as well as UV light therapies, prescription medications, and topical products with proven results.